One of the things I just LOVE doing is sharing my “made over” versions of a traditional recipe into a healthier (but still tasty) meal. Learning how to cook “lighter” has been a pivotal part of losing weight and also maintaining my weight after fitness competitions. I hope these recipes will help in your journey as well 🙂
In case you missed this weeks “Monday Night Meal Prep” (which I do LIVE on my Facebook page every Monday at https://www.facebook.com/Lorifarenfitness/), I have sent you the recipe below for “lightened up” nachos!
This “Meal Prep Monday” segment was inspired by Rachel’s Good Eats.
Sweet Potato’s Nachos with Shredded Chicken:
Servings: 4 people
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2 large sweet potatoes (or yams)
- 1 Roma tomato (diced)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 can Black beans (rinsed)
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup low fat cheese
- ½ lime
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut sweet potatoes into approx. ¼ inch rounds and lay flat on a baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle olive oil.
- Bake sweet potatoes for approx. 40 mins or until soft
- Cook shredded chicken by either boiling it in water for approx. 20 mins or make in advance in a crockpot (such as I did). Once chicken is ready, shred breasts with two forks
- Once the sweet potato rounds are cooked, top with black beans, shredded chicken, cilantro lime and optional red pepper flakes.
- Put the tray back in the oven and bake for approx. 20 mins, until the cheese melts
- Once cooked, top with tomato, avocado and squeeze ½ lime overtop.